Anguilla is a British West Indies Island in the Caribbean, located 7 miles north of St. Martin (St. Maarten) which prides itself on its magnificent 33 private beaches and warm, hospitable people. It’s a quiet little island with fabulous restaurants and abundant water sports. It’s the perfect vacation for those who truly wish to get away from it all and just unwind in the warm sun and swim in the crystal clear electric blue ocean.
© 2010 Bali Hai Villa. All Rights Reserved.
Climate: The average daytime peak temperature is 83 degrees Fahrenheit (29 degrees Celsius) with little seasonal variation. Rainfall averages 36 inches (910 mm) annually.
Government: British Crown Colony. Westminster-style of government with a Governor appointed by the Queen, and a local Executive Council and House of Assembly elected by the people.
Currency: Both US Dollars and Eastern Caribbean Dollars (also referred to as “EC”) are accepted. The EC dollar is pegged to the US dollar at a fixed rate of about US$ 1 = EC $ 2.70.
Language: English, with a distinct Anguillan accent.
Electricity: 110/120 volts AC, the same as the US.
Communications: Anguilla is on the US telephone network as area code 264. Dial calls to and from the US just as you would an out-of-area number. US Cell phones generally work, although you can encounter sporadic communications outages at some locations on the island. The local telephone company, LIME, provides cell phone and internet services. There is a telephone at Bali Hai for your use as well as a line for full internet connectivity for your laptop.
Time Zone: Atlantic Standard time. Generally the same as US Eastern Seaboard Daylight Savings Time and 1 hour ahead of US Eastern Seaboard Standard Time.
Getting to Anguilla:
- American Airlines flies non-stop from San Juan (SJU) airport directly to Anguilla (AXA) via American Eagle. American also flies to SJU from multiple US cities
- A number of major airlines fly to nearby St. Martin (SXM) airport, from which travelers can take a short ferry to Anguilla.
From the US:
- Continental flies non-stop from Newark (EWR)
- JetBlue flies non-stop from New York (JFK)
- US Airways flies non-stop from both Charlotte ( CLT) and Philadelphia (PHL)
- Delta flies non-stop from Atlanta (ATL)
- American flies non-stop from New York (JFK) and Miami (MIA)
- Spirit Airlines flies non-stop from Fort Lauderdale (FLL)
- KLM flies from Amsterdam (AMS) to SXM
- Air France flies from Paris (CDG) to SXM
There are alternatives for ferry service:
- The public St. Martin-Anguilla ferry runs approximately every 45 minutes from around 8 AM through 7 PM from the town of Marigot on the French side of St. Martin, about a 20 minute taxi ride and $25 charge from SXM airport. Queue up to pay a departure tax (about $5) and show your passport to get on the manifest of the next ferry. Board the ferry and pay on board ($15/person). The trip takes about 20 minutes and you arrive at the Anguilla Ferry Terminal in Blowing Point
- You can book a trip with FunTime Charters, located just across the street from SXM airport. FunTime will transport you from the airport to the dock at no additional charge. Pay before you board (generally $50/person). The trip takes about 25 minutes and you also arrive at the Anguilla Ferry Terminal in Blowing Point. Although FunTime is more expensive, we find it to be much more convenient and much more relaxing than the public alternative
You must fill out an Anguilla Immigration Form (generally provided by the ferry operators) and pass through Anguilla customs after you exit the ferry. Taxi service is available from the Ferry Terminal to Bali Hai (usually about $20).
Transportation: We recommend renting a car while you’re on the island. There are a number of car rental companies and we would be glad to recommend one of them to you. Please note that Anguillans drive on the left. In addition to standard rental car charges, each driver in Anguilla is required to have an Anguilla Temporary Drivers License ($20/driver, valid for the length of your stay). Taxi services are also widely available.
BALIHAIVILLA .....Where the Sky Meets the Sea 1-888-VILLA-BH
Your Caribbean Oceanfront Vacation Home in Beautiful Anguilla